Promoting your podcast is one of the main activities you have to undertake on any given day. Many podcasters take to social media, email or shouting from the rooftops to promote their podcasts, very few actually realise there is a better way to market your podcast: becoming a guest on another show.
Why Is Guest Starring A Good Way To Promote?
There are many reasons why becoming a guest speaker on a podcast is a good move. Many of these benefits can be realised without much forethought of your own, other benefits can be gained with only a little bit of preparation and work. Yet all will be applicable no matter how many shows you appear on to promote your own podcast.
Firstly, guest podcasting is great because you know the audience you are speaking to are interested in podcasting. When you are blogging, using social media or sending emails – you are speaking to audiences who are interested in those content mediums. Therefore, some of the audience might have no interest in downloading a podcast. However, those listening to a podcast are more likely to download another.
Secondly, it promotes your brand by association. By being on another’s podcast it automatically gives the audience a sense that you are an expert in your niche. This can be vitally important. The more value there is in what you are saying, the more likely people are going to want to listen to more of you. If someone is recommending you, as they are when you guest speak, then you are going to grab attention and be recognised as an industry leader.
Thirdly, it helps you build links with other podcasters. When you guest spot on another podcast, they might want to have the favour returned with a spot on your podcast. There is nothing wrong with this approach as it allows you to generate a lot more varied and refreshing content for your podcast without much effort while also promoting your own brand.
Finally, it allows you to improve your visibility online. When the host podcast owner is promoting their episode, they will mention your name and probably link to your social media profiles and website. This will grow the awareness of your brand and help with your search engine rank.
How To Secure A Guest Spot
There are numerous ways you can secure a guest spot on another podcast host’s show. Here’s one of the best ways to do so in a simple step by step solution.
- Identify potential hosts for your guest spot. Just as you would like a guest to be related to your niche but not too similar, you should be looking for hosts that meet the same criteria and ensure that the host interviews people.
- Develop a proposal. Before contacting the potential host, listen to a few of their shows and get a feel for their style. Then create a brief summary (proposal) of what you would like to speak to them about on your guest spot. You need to create a good, clear proposal that details how your participation will benefit them, not just yourself. Include how many people are in your network, how you will promote the episode, etc. to grab their attention.
- Send your proposal. Now is the time to send your proposal. Remember to address the host by name, not sir, as this clearly shows that you’ve listened to the show and not just spammed loads of podcast hosts. It is best to send to only three hosts, so you don’t become too overbooked at any time.
- Wait two weeks. If you haven’t heard anything after two weeks, send a follow-up email. If you haven’t heard anything after that, give up and find another podcast host to submit a proposal to.
Guest speaking on another podcast is full of benefits and will grow your audience and credibility online. Just remember to ensure that you are thinking of their shows just as much as you are thinking of your own if you want to be successful in finding guest spots.
Have you guest spoken on a podcast before? What results did you achieve?
Let us know in the comments below.
- Research three potential guest spots.
- Create a detailed proposal for each of them.
- Send off your proposal.
- Appear on another person’s podcast.